Specialist Learning Support Assistant
Person Specification and Job Description
Learning Support Assistant
We are a company providing bespoke personalised education programmes for children and young people diagnosed with complex additional needs who find it difficult to access school.
Job Title: Learning Support Assistant
Responsible to: Individual Case Leads
It is essential that you:
- share our commitment to the protection, safeguarding and wellbeing of children and young people.
- are able to build strong professional relationships with children and young people with complex additional needs, their families and your colleagues.
- have the enthusiasm to engage children and young people in their learning and good standard of; Literacy, Numeracy and ICT to be able to support their learning effectively and work with the systems of SENse Learning.
- are able to use your own initiative to meet children/young people's varying and complex needs.
- are able to react calmly to challenging situations and behaviour and demonstrate the resilience needed to support children with high levels of anxiety.
- had previous experience of supporting individuals with complex additional needs.
- had previous experience of supporting children or young people in an educational setting.
- have a clean driving licence, business insurance and use of your own car to transport children and young people to community outings and to work experience placements.
- be registered as self employed for tax purposes.
- attend compulsory induction training and MAPA with SENse Learning prior to starting any contracts
- keep up to date with your CPD through courses offered to you through SENse Learning
Duties and Responsibilities:
Understanding of Needs
- Developing strong professional relationships with the children and young people who have complex needs and have often experienced significant difficulties in previous education settings
- Following the guidance in each person's individual plan/risk assessment support them to manage their anxiety and behaviour in a positive way and to keep them and others safe.
- Utilise a range of strategies in supporting the range of additional needs we work with.
- Supporting children and young people to follow learning activities set by Case Leads/Teachers.
- Planning and preparing creative and interest based learning activities, following guidance provided by Case Leads/Teacher
- Supporting children and young people on community outings and work experience
- Working with other professionals involved with the student (SALT, OT) to deliver activities to meet children and young people's communication, social, sensory, physical, emotional and behavioural needs
- Documenting children and young people's progress using photographs, videos and written reports
- Completing the relevant sections of our tracking and monitoring system, LearnTrek.
- Communicating frequently and effectively with colleagues and families about the needs of the children and young people and regularly reviewing your strategies and practice as these needs change.
- Attending half termly progress meetings with Case Leads to discuss next steps.
Pay: £18-£24 an hour
Mileage Expenses: Over 100 miles travelled per week, per student, can be claimed at 0.45p per mile. All mileage can be claimed for miles travelled with a student in the car E.G Work Experience, Trips out
Please contact Kaya on 01444 400896 or firstname.lastname@example.org for an application form.