We are a company providing personalised education programmes for children and young people diagnosed with complex social communication needs and/or autism spectrum disorders who find it difficult to access school.
Job Title: Specialist Teacher Responsible to: Lucy McMann - Director.
Initially this role would be carried out on a self-employed basis and we would sub contract the work out to you. The pay will reflect this and will include mileage expenses. However, we may look at employing staff once we are more established.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Developing strong professional relationships with the children and young people who have complex needs and have often experienced significant difficulties in previous education settings
- Supporting and teaching children and young people to follow learning activities set out by yourselves or by the Director and Assistant Director
- Planning and preparing learning activities following guidance provided by the Director and Assistant Director.
- Supporting children and young people on community outings and work experience
- Working with the therapy team to deliver activities to meet children and young people's communication, social, sensory, physical, emotional and behavioural needs
- Documenting children and young people's progress using photographs, videos and written reports
- Assisting children and young people with personal care as needed
- Following the guidance in each person's behaviour plan to support them to manage their anxiety and behaviour in a positive way and to keep them and others safe.
- Communicating frequently and effectively with colleagues and families about the needs of the children and young people and regularly reviewing our strategies and practice as these needs change.
It is essential that you...
- have Qualified Teacher Status.
- had previous experience of teaching individuals with complex autism/social communication needs.
- had previous experience of teaching children or young people in an education setting.
- had previous experience of planning and delivering curriculums and programmes of learning creatively.
- share our commitment to the protection, safeguarding and wellbeing of children and young people.
- are able to build strong professional relationships with children and young people with complex autism/social communication needs, their families and your colleagues.
- have the enthusiasm to engage children and young people in their learning and sufficient skills in Literacy, Numeracy and ICT to be able to support their learning effectively.
- are able to use your own initiative to meet children/young people's varying and complex needs.
- are able to react calmly to challenging situations and behaviour and demonstrate the resilience needed to support children with high levels of anxiety.
- had a clean driving licence, business insurance and use of your own car to transport children and young people to community outings and to work experience placements.